Every Member of Congress needs to hear from our members that this vote is crucial, including sponsors. We're working with coalition partners to make February 4 their national day of action too.
Again, there will be 5hrs of lost time per local to do worksite visits.
Two important reminders -
1. CWA leadership voted that any House member who votes no on the PRO Act will not receive CWA's endorsement.
2. The House passage sets us up for 2021 if we can flip the Senate. This vote is super important.
I'm copying the materials on the PRO Act from my last email below:
The PRO Act Will:
- Protect strikes and other protest activities. The bill will make it illegal for employers to permanently replace striking workers and make secondary strikes and boycotts legal.
- Make it easier to bargain. The bill will eliminate obstacles for workers to get their first union contract.
- Help strengthen protections for workers forming a union. The bill will establish compensatory damages for workers and penalties against employers when they fire or retaliate against workers for forming a union.
- Prevent the misclassification of workers as independent contractors.
- Deal a blow to “right-to-work” laws.
- And much more!
Here's a link to the bill
Here's a one pager
Here's a fact sheet
Here's a "section-by-section"
Here's a great summary page
The National Chamber of Commerce and other corporate backed-groups are mobilizing and lobbying Members of Congress who we are targeting. Check out the Chamber's talking points here and their hilarious video here. Republican legislators are posting OpEds in opposition to the bill like this one. They have been working to stop the bill since it was introduced in May 2019, so we have to let ALL Members of Congress know to stay strong.
NYS Political Action Team